PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATP Bust
Thread: ATP Bust
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 07:25
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course that's not going to prevent you from going anywhere. Presently your options for moving to a major are nearly zero, but not because of the failed practical test. There's just no movement, and furloughs are in the works nearly everywhere. That means you have time to overcome your recent shortfall, make the failure a success, and move on.

You'll surely be asked in every interview you attend if you've ever failed a checkride or practical test or proficiency check. Answering yes isn't the problem. How you handled it is how you'll be judged. The correct answer is that you learned from it, and the correct follow up is to show how you learned.

I failed the oral exam for my initial flight instructor certificate. After an eight hour oral, the examiner entered the room following a break, and told me I was being discontinued...pink slipped (flunked). Earlier in the day, I'd been asked to name all the aviation weather reports and forecasts, and name the valid times of issuance for each. I said I couldn't quote it, but knew where to look, and offered the book Aviation Weather Services. At the time, I was told "that's the correct response." Never the less, the test was discontinued several hours later.

I was very discouraged. I went home, and decided I'd try again. I studied hard, practically memorized the handbook. I knew it inside and out. When I returned, the inspector asked me if I'd studied, and I replied yes. I wanted to show him. Instead, he simply said "good, then we don't need to talk about it. Let's go fly." And we flew. I was issued the certificate. After I was handed my new temporary certificate, the inspector told me he'd been under the gun to fail a certain percentage of applicants, and as I came at the end of the month, he failed me to meet the quota. And with that, I was done, free to start instructing.

If asked about this practical test, I'll tell the truth, show that I failed it, that I renewed my determination to try harder, studied more, and passed with flying colors. I'll explain that for the rest of my career I'll think back on that example every time I approach a checkride, and redouble my efforts to study and prepare. I'll explain that it made me a better pilot, a better student, and a better professional. I'll show it as a growth and learning experience...just as you will when you explain your recent failed ride.

Nobody is perfect. There are a lot of pilots out there who haven't demonstrated perfection in every aspect of their careers. I'm one of them, you are too.

A couple of years ago I was involved in a mishap following an engine failure at low altitude. There was aircraft damage, albeit fairly minor. I was not at fault. I can show that event as a strength and a success, and it's served well in interviews and applications since. Some employers won't bother to call back when they see it on the application. One was in the process of hiring me, then rejected me based on it. But where one or two doors have closed, many more have opened, and I'm working a good job presently with strong potential...and who found my experiences not a sign of weakness, but a strength.

As you explore and overcome your own experiences, I believe you'll find the same.