PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2008, 19:56
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we can end speculation about the CVR- it is evidently fake as the real recording will barely have been downloaded and will be carefully guarded, presumably at Farnborough. It just would not get out. Some kids got themselves a nice little earner there out of some gullible news organisation.

There has been determined speculation that a compressor stall is the cause because of high temperature, tailwind and heavy. I have done higher temperature, stronger tailwind and heavier takeoffs from MAD. Not a problem. Again the focus falls on the wrong place. Rather than be the cause of the problem, the root is what may have caused that surging in the first place (if it happened at all), not the fact that it occurred.

It increasingly sounds like the aeroplane was not flyable. How so? Scenarios are:
Large error in take-off performance calculation with speeds much too low (unlikely)
Erroneous power setting for take-off (unlikely)
Wrong flap configuration for take-off
Technical failure beyond the critical time- wheel shredding, fire or engine failure- unlikely as this should have been handled.

There has been enormous focus on the returning to stand to fix a minor error as if this is the cause! What is needed is wider vision. This can only come from experienced people and not from people desperate to make their mark and stake their claim to the final solution! Like this work of art from a true idiot!:
I strongly beleive that they tried an RTO becuase the landing gear failed to retract. The gear will not retract if the plane arrived in this condition!
If the plane indeed was in airborne mode, remember my words. This is an item in the MD-80's Emergency Abnormal Checklist.