PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2008, 18:16
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not fully going to dismiss the transcript shown on that TV program, but unless the copilot happened to be speaking Argentinian (rather than Castillian Spanish, as it "should've been"), those are very likely NOT the exact words on the recording a spanish pilot would use (or rather, copilot).

So, while I strongly suspect it's bull they have the cabin sound recordings, here is my most accurate translation (not all makes full sense) of the "transcript".

Copilot: The left one - Engine fire - Cutting fuel (Please note that engine is transcribed as being said in English, while in all likelyhood a spanish pilot would have referred to it in Spanish using the word "motor" instead)
Pilot: OK - Got it - OK - Got it - Rotate same (way) (or anyway, ambigous) - (Same as before, the word "rotate" is either latin spanish, intead of castillian, or english, which wouldn't be the kind of word a Spanish pilot would likely ever use).
Cop: Possitive ascend - Oh God.
Pil: I'm losing it - More pedal (rudder?) - Give me more - You (you, give me more?)
Sound (explosion?)
Pil: (Swears)
Cop: Give (it) to me
Noise. Crash ends.

Please note that, at the very least, whoever made the "transcript" wasn't a professional at all, with some expressions etc (such as "crash ends") and other subtle semantics details that look HIGHLY amaterouish.

Again, not diminishing its validity. But if you ask me my honest opinion, I would bet serious money it is a TOTAL BULL PRANK. At very least the copilot would've had to be of Argentinian origin, which hasn't been mentioned, and the moron transcribing the tape, a drop out college freshman. But anything is possible, of course.

Reportly (but again, probably wrong), the airport recording that finally made its way to the judge in charge of the investigation is only about 7 seconds long. That's probably incorrect and it's longer, but anyway, we can only comment on what we are told by the press or by officials speaking live on TV.

Last edited by justme69; 25th Aug 2008 at 19:26.