PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2008, 17:48
Old_Fokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word of Caution

Never intended to actually post here as I am not pilot nor in any other way connected to the airline industry. Nevertheless, as someone living in Spain and understanding the Spanish language (and culture) quite well, I believe I need to post the following:

A word of caution on the alleged CVR transript which TN Argentina claims to have. CadenaSer of Spain says (1) that they have contacted TN Argentina about this alleged CVR transcript. TN Argentina clarifies that they have not listened to the recording themselves but that some parts of it (the phrases "corta gas" ["cut throttle" or "I cut throttle"*], "rotate igual" ["rotate nevertheless"] and "dámelo" ["give it to me"] were given to them by their sources and that the transcript as a whole as presented by them should not be taken completely literally.

The TN Argentina clip, including a Spanish version of the alleged transcript, can been seen on Youtube (2). Below is my translated version. Perhaps user Justme69 (who has done an excellent job sofar in resuming the Spanish media in general and separating fiction from facts in particular) can correct me, if needed.

Alleged TN Argentina transcript [translated from Spanish]:

FO: THE LEFT ONE! ENGINE FIRE! CUTTING THROTTLE
CM: OK, I'VE GOT IT, I'VE GOT IT, ROTATE NEVERTHELESS
FO: POSITIVE CLIMB, OH GOD!
CM: I'M LOOSING IT, MORE PEDAL, GIVE ME MORE
SOUND: (EXPLOSION?)
CM: INSULT
FO: GIVE IT TO ME
SOUND: CRASH END

* While TN Argentina claims the phrase was "Corto Gas" (which means, "I cut throttle"), CadenaSer reports the phrase as "Corta Gas" which means "cut throttle" but as a command to someone else. It's only one single letter which differs but it makes a 'helluva' difference.

(1) El fiscal investigará la veracidad de la grabación de un canal argentino con la supuesta conversación de los pilotos en CADENASER.com
(2) YouTube - Accidente Barajas