PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2008, 16:15
dicksorchard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thrust reversers & Captain - First officer communication

N1005C BND PJ2 T-21

Just wanted to thank the above posters for taking out the time to reply to my querys about reverse thrusters .

I see that another very interesting post refering to the reverse thrust issue has been posted by GP7280-POC which quotes an El Pais Article ( A usually very reputable spanish newspaper) See below

Long rolling on the runway
A video of airport cameras, held under catch, shows according to the report that the airplane put a much back to long distance on the runway. Loud " El País" it drove 500 meters beyond the point recommended for the start. According to the report one of the engines could have turned - an attitude, which is made with landings for braking. Thus it explains itself that the airplane leaned immediately after taking off on the right side, reported " El País" with reference to a aviation engineer, whose name was not called

An engine turned
According to the newspaper the investigators discovered at the scene of the catastrophe that one of the engines was turned (reverse thrust). Unclear it was however whether this was already when starting the case or whether it took place via the crash .

Maybe the reverse thruster issue is a relevant one especially as the video evidence on take off seems to show no fire in any of the engines .

However Im interested in another issue Relating to the interaction of a Captain & first officer in relation to aborted Landings & take offs and i need to know if the information i have been given is in fact true ?

My friend ( ex pilot ) has told me that within his airline if an aircraft had a techincal fault after coming off stand which had to be repaired and that the initial take off had to be aborted then the Captain would be at the controls on the next attempt at take off - even if the first officer was due to fly that leg of the journey ? Is this standard procedure/ practice within other airlines ?

Im very curious because in this general conversation my friend said that he had known during his flying career of Captains having to take over the controls from First officers and vice versa at crucial times when landing / taking off etc & decididing to abort .

He said this would be a split second descision and may well account for tany descision to abort take off and it going drastically wrong . So this may be why the reverse thruster was deployed .

My interest in this aspect of communication between Captain & First officer has been more than aroused by the below post

Ignition Override If a pilot rushes and does not coordinate with the other pilot, they won't survive a mistake.

Especially when you consider The Tenerife disaster and read the air accident report which infers that the first officer was actually scared of questioning his Captains descisions even tho he was very uncomfortable about the situation that he found himself in ?