PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2008, 14:28
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Tubby:

As I see it, the aircraft had an MEL item entered which may or may not have caused a problem for the take-off.

The wind on 36L may have been a slight tailwind, but this is by no means uncommon and allowed for in airline ops and especially at LEMD. It rotated some distance down the runway (at present not defined, but SAID to be ???'longer than usual'???), appears to have climbed initially to around 30-60mtrs with no signs of engine fire, before descending, POSSIBLY wing-rocking, and it is thought the right wing struck the ground. It veered off the runway to the right, leaving initial debris to the right of the runway before traversing unfavourable terrain which caused it to break up and catch fire. One engine was found with T/R deployed which would be in complete accordance with an attempt to stop. An initial photograph APPEARS to show a clean wing detached from the fuselage. A video of dubious definition of the take-off was recorded somewhere and has been seen by the investigators. There are reports that the FDR is 'damaged' but the CVR is reported as ok.

That, as I see it, is that. Total. If there is more FACT, or some of the above is incorrect, I would be pleased to see it posted here. Everything else elsewhere.