PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Hole approaches without visual glide slope guidance
Old 25th Aug 2008, 11:25
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being ex-RFDS, the old black-hole approach used to be common place. However I feel the basic concepts of a normal approach day or night always remain the same.

In the RFDS we were always taught to keep a standard profile configuration (ie abeam the threshold gear down etc...) and start timing (20 seconds abeam), keep ROD below 1000' ftpm at approach speeds. If any of these parameters were exceeded 'go round' and have another crack.

The biggest trap with all black-hole approaches was what was stored in your sub-conscious, meaning if you had come from a big strip (e.g. YPPD or YPLM) that is what you related the approach to. So it could come as something of a shock when you found the runway suddenly rushing up to meet you. However if you are configured, on speed, on a stabilised approach it doesn't take much to react and basically flare the aircraft.

The other trap with limited flare path/black hole approaches would sometimes happen when you join crosswind. Normally you join x-wind at most airstrips and look down to your left (LH circuit) and see all the lights leading back to your landing point. However with a shorter strip and limited lighting (e.g. kero flares) this whole 'expected' view disappears under the wing or is very faint due very dim lighting. Your immediate thought can be, 'Oh **** I've lost visual contact...' but in reality all you need do is go back to the instruments fly a standard pattern circuit for your aircraft and have another look approaching late down wind.

Of course all of this is much easier these days as I now have an extra head up the front to bounce things off......

cheers Sarcs