PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment
Old 25th Aug 2008, 05:37
trolly dolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations to everyone that has been offered their dream job! I am really happy for you all! However, I won’t be joining you, I turned the offer down, simply because of the conditions.

I know you will all be really excited and I don’t want to burst your bubble, I’m just writing this as some 'food for thought' to get you all thinking about what you are signing;

After already flying for another airline I was amazed at some of the things that were included (and not included) in the very 'grey' contract;

1. If needed you can operate for virgin blue or pacific blue at V Australia's discretion. Think about this; operate virgin blue flights on your contract with no overtime, no BOC allowance, no minimum rest and no maximum flying hours! You will be at their mercy and there is nothing you can do about it! You signed the contract!

2. "V Australia can elect to provide you with meals in lieu of this allowance" (subsistence allowance). Breakfast, lunch and dinner vouchers for the hotel restaurant is a major possibility, I cannot take this risk on a base salary of 37500!

3. There is no minimum rest! This is just so wrong in any flying job! Especially if you end up flying for virgin blue!

4. There is no limit to your daily/duty flying hours. It even says that your duty will be extended whenever needed. Eg. Delays, mechanical problems etc. In other words, you will just keep going (with no overtime payment) until the job is done!

I hope this gives you all something to think about, you are all old enough to make up your own minds, and for some, I know this job is a once in lifetime chance! (when I started it was for me too) I know you will all enjoy it, just be careful and don’t let them screw you!