PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre-flight safety announcement not understandable
Old 24th Aug 2008, 19:50
paddygranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-flight safety announcement not understandable

I frequently fly using Ryanair and on more than one occasion I have felt that the flight safety has been compromised, due to language inabilities of the staff.

One one occasion, a young lady was asked by her supervisor to do the pre-flight safety. The lady was very nervous, an attribute which in itself made me, as a passenger, nervous. It was clearly one of the first times that the lady was doing the pre-flight safety announcement on a plane full of passengers. But I do not think that this is a valid excuse. Passengers have to feel that they are being looked after by people who are confident and able to manage situations. Pilots flying for Ryanair, in contrast, give me the feeling that they are capable and relaxed.

This aside, the problem really started when the lady started to talk. I know the pre-flight safety text very well, and could only barely follow at which point she was. However, most of what she was saying was not at all clear. Worse still, several points were missed out altogether. I am a native English speaker, and had great difficulty understanding any of her speech. My partner could not follow anything, and I am sure that the same applied for the remaining passengers.

At the end, the lady asked her supervisor, in front of all other staff AND passengers, how she had done. To my surprise, the supervisor told her what she had done wrong, but did not update the passengers. I was left shocked about how unprofessional the whole episode had been.

I would be interested if any others have had similar experiences.