PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West London Airfields (Heston, Hanworth, and Hounslow)
Old 24th Aug 2008, 19:15
stickandrudderman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I grew up on a British Airways housing estate that was built on the north side of Heston airfield (North Hyde Lane).
The remains of the airfield were my playground, and indeed there was still an isolated hangar right on the corner of my street that we occasionally used to play in. It was being used as some kind of HGV depot as I recall.
I also remember getting a metal detector for christmas one year, and scouting round an old pill box lookig for bullets or the remains of a Spitfire!
I used to attend a scout group that was in a wooden hut in the corner of what was then the Speedbird club, but was later called the Concorde club; social club of BOAC/British airways staff.
There used to be the remains of an old tail dragger outside the scout hut, probably an Auster or something similar. I wonder what happened to that?
I've place-marked these places on Google Earth but I've no idea how to post the link here.....