PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scimitar Crash nr Ben Vorlich 10 Nov 1959
Old 24th Aug 2008, 17:26
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Scimitar

Fascinating discussion on a very important aeroplane, from the point of view that it was the RN's first supersonic, nuclear-capable aircraft.
If I may add to the topic, I first flew the Scimitar (XD228. '613' 736 Sqdn.) on the 13th.September, 1963. I was 24.

To deal with a couple of points, firstly the aircraft used to lose fuel when parked because of the construction of the integral wing tanks. Basically the wing skin was lined with fuel-proof fabric. Constant movement/flexing led to the continuous weeping of fuel through the wing skin and looked like condensation on the outside. This just dripped all over hangar floor.
The second point concerns the hydraulic systems. The problem was that they operated at a much higher pressure (2500/4000psi) than I think ever before. Even the EMC motor /pump unit (PTO) operated at 4000psi. This of course led to numerous leaks and failures and, as has been mentioned, eventual failure of both systems led to control system failure. The highest operating pressure that I ever encountered subsequently, in a civilian aeroplane, was in the Douglas DC9. This was 3200psi but, in this case, always automatically idled at 1500psi when not in use.

The aircraft itself for a young pilot was amazing. The acceleration was astonishing after the Hunter and the rate of climb (at that time) with just inboard drops was initially about 15000ft/min.; time to 40000, about 4 mins.
Therein lies the rub with the Scimitar though - same engines virtually as the Lightning but no reheat. As the Americans were perported to have commented, "Who could have built an aircraft with all that power that wasn't supersonic in level flight" !

Oh, just a quick question for INDIA 42.

When NG-R went in, wasn't it nearly dark ? Hence the reason for ejecting over land.
If the situation was such that a safe landing could not be achieved, SOPs were normally to eject just off the coast if poss. for heli rescue.
If the sea temp.was ridiculous or daylight was running out, then Dava (spelling?) Moor was recommended as more survivable ?

Last edited by Sleeve Wing; 24th Aug 2008 at 17:49.