PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Hole approaches without visual glide slope guidance
Old 24th Aug 2008, 15:59
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A ute or motorbike on the end of the strip with headlights pointing down the strip is plenty. Although I remember taking off from a very dark strip with just landing lights once and nearly came to grief when a skippy hopped out in front of me and I rotated in a hurry about ten knots slower than I was expecting to. Very dark with the lights piercing the sky leaving two (yeah, I fitted an extra one for getting home) very white streams of light leading to nothing, and a weird feeling of going faster, due to the leaning back, making me think I wasn't climbing. very disorienting and almost a not very pretty ending. I do remember very clearly, ignoring any sensations I was feeling and going ASI, VSI, ALT and ignoring everything else until I had 7500ft on the dial, then correcting my course by nearly 200 deg and fighting the leans for the next two hours. I don't do that sort of thing anymore....... It scared the ......seat buttons off the seat.
Things we do when we hit a couple of thousand hours and become invincible. glad I managed a few more thousand after that and learned how very mortal we are.