PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your take-home pay at the end of the month?
Old 24th Aug 2008, 14:27
ghandou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question, it took me 10 years to get to where I am today with my current job, if I flew for an airline, what would my salary prospects be after 10 years with the same company? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anywhere close to what I get now, but I've realised it's not always about the money (cheesy but true).

For some bizarre reason I feel I have to justify myself here. I hate my current profession, I've sacrificed so much in my years to get to where I am, spending months at sea, being away from family and friends, not sleeping for days on end, the list goes on. But I did it because it allowed me to pay for my flying. I've since moved into a managerial position, and yes I get all the benefits as mentioned above, but it's STILL not what I want to do.

I know what I'm doing is not logical, but you were all in my position at one time. Not every pilot is miserable up on the flight deck, not every pilot hates his job. It was all a dream of yours at some point in your life, not only to fly, but to be in control of that big shiny airliner. I could be embarking on the biggest mistake of my life, but I wouldn't be the first, and like many before me, it's a risk that I'm willing to take.

As for the chance of not getting a job (as mentioned by 'No Sponsor' the patronizing doof above), doesn't every pilot face the same problem when they start or at some point in their career? The way I think is that's just part of a flying career, as with any other career.