PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2008, 12:07
Gergely Varju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I know that my theory is probably flawed, I would like to hear a few oppinions about it.

To me, accidents like this seems to be extremely rare events, and it is rare to see them happen without any "warnings". Mostly because comercial aircrafts are built with enough fault tolerance to be safe in most cases, and it is very rare to see different problems happen on same time. Incidents, serious incidents, etc. seems to be quite more frequent. Sadly when you deal with many incidents, you can't be sure that in 100% of the cases you will do the best to prevent a more serious event.

This is why I think any incident before the accident should be considered, even if we just try to take educated guesses. The limited amount of time spent with disabling the heating device for RAT probe is barelyenough for the paperwork, so it is safe to assume: Noone knows for sure what kind of malfunction(s) triggered the first warning. And noone was sure about the potential consequences.

IF we deal with an unknown electrical or computer related problem, that would mean: It is possible to have other system affected by the failure. Since people experienced with MD aircraft suggested it can be enough to affect takeoff condition warning. If I interpret what was said / what information could be found, I would also think in some cases it can affect the thrust generated, and in case of short circuits, some more serious Air Data Computer or DFGC related problems it could have other kinds of effects.

I think these problems can lead to less than expected thrust or wrong takeoff configuration, and this can lead to a stall when the plane would leave ground effect. And the rest was explained.