PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2008, 10:24
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Nigel on Draft - which brings me back to what I have just suggested, i.e the aircraft appears to have got airborne with plenty of runway left ? If so, it presumably must have reached the computed VR, or else why would the crew have tried to haul it into the air below VR with no reason to ?

If so, then something happened immediately it was airborne, to stop it accelerating ( if that is what happened ) or, maybe the computed VR was in error - wouldn't be the first time. I know nothing of present day FMS systems, but I would think that maybe there would be some way to make a gross error check built into the system, or are V speeds still extracted manually from the QRH and written on the back of an envelope - or similar !! which does leave room for error,but again, the VR might have been correct, but the aircraft wouldn't fly because of incorrect flap /slat configuration, as has also been suggested, and I started my comments in reply to a question as to whether or not VR was arrived at by a speed reading alone, or a physical runway position, but it wouldn't matter how the VR was confirmed if, at that point the aircraft was incorrectly configured.

Again - patience, Gentlemen.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 24th Aug 2008 at 10:34. Reason: added text