PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2008, 09:40
Seat62K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of these posts show the degree to which Anglophones are hampered in trying to understand a situation where so much of the available information is in another language.
"Justme69" has commented on the amount of runway used by the aircraft. A friend told me yesterday that El Pais reported that the aircraft used all the runway. This was, I think, reported to the press by the head of the autonomous government in the Canaries. My friend's Spanish is very good (much better than mine) but obviously care needs to be exercised here over the translation. Is there anyone who is bilingual able to comment on this? I don't think I've read elsewhere on this thread that the aircraft used all the runway (could have missed it, though).
P.S. Apparently, El Pais also reported that the wind direction changed shortly before the attempted take off and that the Spanair aircraft attempted its take off with a tail wind. There seems to have been a comment from flight deck crew of another aircraft (taking off, landing or moving on the ground at Barajas) about this.