PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N.A.T.S. Aerodrome Pay, Perks and Benefits?
Old 24th Aug 2008, 07:45
CAP493

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...when choosing which control tower I'd like to be posted to is the Pay/Benefits at the 15 Airports versus the Cost of living, Mortgage prices etc.
As someone else said, you may be asked where you'd like to go but the ultimate decision is management's based on where there are training vacancies and on how you shape up at the end of the course.

As regards the London area towers, I'd request either Stansted or Gatwick ~ very pleasant areas (ignoring creepy Crawley...) and somewhat higher pay bandings than Luton and London/City where (excepting Luton itself) house prices are equally expensive.

Whilst Heathrow's pay banding is the highest, you won't be selected for that unit unless you perform outstandingly well on the course, and whilst the job itself is fantastic, the location does have a downside in terms of where to live (house prices/ambience) and travel hassle to/from work.

Outside of London, assuming you leave DAT&S with both ADI and APS ratings, if I was asked to choose I'd opt for Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh in that order (job interest, place to live, ease of commuting, etc).

If you like real outdoor pursuits i.e. not simply careering around bridle paths in Home Counties South on a BMX-style bike, Aberdeen is a pretty good bet (fantastically interesting and varied job with a range of mountain-related orienteering-type activities close at hand, not to mention golf, gliding, sailing and snorkling [the latter with a wet suit, of course...]).

But house prices are not that cheap in the City itself (cheaper out in the 'sticks').

Good luck with the courses & exams!!