PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why design a passenger aircraft with a high wing?
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 17:32
Allan Lupton

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad John Farley's potential redeployment to Hatfield never happened, as he'd never have been able to demonstrate a 146 as impressively as a Harrier!

Apart from that, without looking it up I'd have put the 146 as slightly later than 1966 and I think we were only up to 144 by then. But as he says, and as I implied, it was designed as a third-world feeder liner with similar short and rough strip capability to the Avro 748 and that had been the design aim from the beginning. Another design aim was quietness, and Orange County was a good example of the extra destinations that become available as a result. London City's another (and it's also pretty short).

The 146 was launched by Hawker Siddeley, but put to one side as a consequence of the 1973 oil crisis and the inflation that ensued. By the time things cleared up sufficiently for a re-launch, we were nationalised as British Aerospace.

As for three-engined ferrying, during the early development flying starter quill-shaft breakage was rather common and I recall one flight which therefore took off on three but flew and landed on four after a windmill in-flight start!