PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 17:03
FrequentSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad (Flt) Scientist
Thanks for you reply. If you do not mind I have a couple of more questions/comments.
Mainly because experience has shown that estimated weights, averaged across passengers (with the adjustments people have mentioned for time of year and so on), are accurate enough. Bear in mind that there's always an element of conservatism in the way the aircraft performance is calculated, and the standard 'weight and balance' process accuracy is consistent with the methods used.
Understood, however I do wonder if what you say is correct, why such topic is being discussed so widely in this thread. I have seen so many different figures of estimated weight.

To accurately measure the aircraft weight would require additional sensors on the aircraft (there are some aircraft, mainly cargo types, with this feature) and that adds cost and the chance of that system breaking or being in error. So there's no real benefit to such systems.
You are confirming what I was thinking however I am still puzzled because the cost of load cell weighing system will be a few tens of thousand of Euro. The measured weight could be compared with the estimated weight adding an additional layer of safety. If the system is broken or in error the estimated weight could be used.

Thanks once more