PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Escape routes in Airtaxi
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 01:43
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steak&Kidney_Pie, you say:

I take it gigi that you are flying an aircraft which isn't perf A? Otherwise surely you wouldn't need an escape route?

Of course perf A aircraft need escape routes. Everytime the climb gradient required by the SID is higher then the one the aircraftt can do one engine out you need an escape route. Sometimes of course climb gradient requirements are not due to terrain but for noise abatment or airspace structure in which case I am not too woried. But often it's for terrain.

Of course following the SID is the obvious thing to do after an engine failure if you have the performance. But, make sure you have the performance to wherever you need to be to be safe (i.e. SID altitude, MSA or whatever is applicable)

The missed approach as an escape route is not a bad idea. In fact, most escape routes are based on the missed approach procedure since its intention is to return you to the airfield, or close to the airfield as opposed to making you fly away from the field like an SID.

Also, I think it would indeed be nice if airports would publish a one-size-fits all escape route, similar to the missed approach, that guaratees that you can clear all obstacles with a minimum gradient of say 2.4% net, so that every certified transport category aircraft could fly that procedure and be safe. Could be as easy as: climb on runway track to D3.0 "IXYZ"LOC and at least 1500ft, turn right, climbing to 3000ft to "AB" NDB and hold.

I think it would be nice if we could get this from the airport. Then all we would need to make sure is can we make that gradient given today's conditions?