PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA requires memory item briefing prior to flight
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 00:35
Feather #3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Reality?

SCD Wrote:

Wasn't the reason that boeing took alot of the recall items from the QRH recently, was because in a survey they found a significant proportion of line pilots didn't know all the recall items!

I have to say Im not an anal bookworm pilot but not knowing your recall items is in my books criminal negligence!
I think you'll find among Human Factors [HF] research, that under stress, pilots over 50 years of age had trouble recalling the items. Quiz and simulator packages were fine, but the real world was another matter! Thus, simplification became the order of the day.

This is not unreasonable IMHO. In the days of the B747 "Classic", I had a tape which I played in the car on the way to work of all memory recalls [aka Phase 1's in those days] and non-normal reference items which my employer had chosen as memory items. It took 45min to get to work and this tape played for half an hour!!

Thus, I'd ask that you temper your thoughts on "criminal negligence" with contemporary HF research on the human ability to cope under stress in the real world.

G'day