PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 22:30
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justme69
bad summary ?? Personally, I think it's not bad at all - I find it useful to see a collection of what's known so far - even if the reason for 're-landing' is a mystery at this point.

Don't feel the need to apologise either - I think your welcome here as a non-expert, unlike the several morons posting rubbish (especially earlier in the thread), and especially the few masquerading as 'us'/'we' pilots - while referring to the 'relanding' of a transport category jet as if it were a cessna 182 heading for the fence with a flaming cylinder head. No offence to those who do fly cessnas - for they know we're dealing with different performance regimes, OEI climb gradient - or lack of!?!? etc.
For the most part, posts referring to playing with throttle levers, the flap lever, circuit breakers, or anything else while between Vr and 400AGL(the regulatory minimum) with an alleged engine fire/failure, are a bit of a giveaway.
This is an interesting event and discussions about how air travel would be safer if the entire world was converted into one flat runway are obvious and uninteresting
I agree, As is the mention of EMAS, since the aircraft went no-where near the END of the runway.
You complain about the media, but if you review this thread the posts are worse than than the guesses they make.
Actually usually, I complain about the media. In this case I think you're correct. In general, I don't think the media did as badly as in the past. The exception for me was the TIMES - quoting posts from PPRUNE verbatim (with anonymous contributors) is totally ridiculous and inexcusable. However, I found some of SKY's presenters references to the 'air intake valve overheat' with such authoritative tone to be hilarious - as if they knew what they were talking about and that it had to be an intrinsic causal factor in the accident! All the more so, because I was clueless to what the hell they meant - bleed air? air conditioning?, what VALVE?.

Since no-one knows yet (other than investigators) whether or not the return onto terra firma was 'involuntary', or deliberate pilot action, anything else is pointless speculation. If it turns out to be deliberate, then I guess the PF felt (whether justified or not) she was 'unable to fly' in the spirit of the V1 definition.