PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Coventry Incident - the ONLY thread?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 20:30
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Says the bloke who admitted flying non-radio 'a fair bit of the time'.
What exactly is this 'dodgy' bit your talking about. It's Class G airspace, you don't have to be equipped with a radio. If the CAA started telling the flying fraternity that they had to be radio equipped regardless of a/c type and airspace used, the noise would be deafening, it'd sound like a slaughterhouse on porky pig day! Why don't you email that comment to the BGA and see what response you get.
The airspace round Cov isn't dodgy, it's just Class G, there's a difference.
The "dodgy" reference was with regard to all of the comments from those blithely flying ILS approaches through this bit of class G under the false assumption that they were, in some way, protected by ATC.

Good airmanship seems to me to be more than just following the law laid down in the ANO; it would be small comfort to be greeted at the pearly gates, asked how one came to meet ones' demise and reply that it was because you followed the letter of the law.

In my case it's more to do with cowardice. I've been around long enough to get seriously worried when flying in areas that I know may be populated with people who feel that have precedence over others, when legally they don't (as far as I can see). My safety mechanism is simply not to fly in those areas if I can possibly avoid it; maybe I'm wrong, but this is just self-preservation on my part.

VP