PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Coventry Incident - the ONLY thread?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 16:14
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think transponder far more likely to reduce the risk of mid air collisions than radio. Radio relies on correct and accurate pilot usage to pin point their location whereas a xponder is doing the job far more accurately. Obviously this is only of relevance in certain airspace at the moment but in 2008 I think it about time we made moves to make a xponder mandatory in any part of UK airspace and to start tracing people who fail repeatedly to switch the thing on, as it's equates to suicidal laziness IMHO. Laugh if you will but there're more and more aircraft appearing on the GA market equiped with TCAS nowadays but what use is that when people don't use their xponder?

Just a few thoughts on the subject, now I shall stand back and get shot down by the farmstrip diehards who are more interested in getting away with a spot of Rule 5 breaking than avoiding the potential for a collision... cuz let's face it - they're the usual suspects when it comes to not switching their xponder on. There - I've said it!

VFE.