PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many circuits before solo?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 06:45
bArt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been in the circuit for ~5 lessons (35circuits I think), though I'm aware that another 3hrs of solo consolidation in the circuit is needed afterward. Seems a bit of overkill to me and would far prefer to have an instructor doing those 3hrs in progressively worse conditions which to me would be better experience?
Overkill, after 5 lessons

I have logged over 7000 landings in 13 different aircraft in my logbook and I still go for some touch and go's now and then.

As to the worse conditions, your instructor can not order the weather. If you want crosswind you may have to wait for weeks to get it.

I agree with Big Pistons Forever, basic flying skills are required before being able to fly the circuit because in the circuit you will be climbing, flying straight and level, reducing speed while maintaining altitude, configuring, descending, making drift corrections, and then finally the round-out.
No way you can do that correctly if you do not have the basic flying skills (SLF, climb, descend, trimming, attitude flying (nose position in relation to horizon))

Therefore I spend the first hours only doing these things, no circuits. Then I will introduce the circuit. The following flights I will first go to the working area for 25 minutes basic flying before going back to the circuit for 30 minutes.

This might seem a disadvantage for the student seeking to be solo ASAP, but I think it is better this way.

Bart