PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 00:11
xkoote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To bsieker

bsieker,

I was pointing the general fact that the MD80 is not an unsafe plane as many articles would have us beleive. Unfortunately I have NO idea whatsoever who you are, nor do I understand your need to defend the A320. Just want to inform you about the idea of taking off with as little flaps as possible as runway permits. Other types are limited to the flaps selector. You'll takeoff with less runway, but with less airspeed and more drag. That's the principle of the dial-a-flap. It's just enough flaps to get airborne. The more energy you have going airborne the better. You may not think it's significant enough, but MDC definitely thought so. And I'm more inclined to believe them.

As for defending the A320, I don't exactly know why as I wasn't attacking other planes as your post suggests. I know the A320 systems good enough, I know all planes have the same characteristics to make them safe. Hence the question that may be you can answer. Why does the media blame the MD as being a plane with a dubious safety record ? ?

Take a chill pill my friend, I'm just an MD80 pilot explaining to the non-pro's in the thread the particulars of the MD80 system. And don't fret, I won't mention the habsheim incident..........nor the A340 incident over the atlantic

Regards,

Xander