PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 00:08
Willoz269

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting snippet....I was watching satellite news when this happened, and 2 witnesses at the end of the runway, not far from the crash, said unequivocally one engine exploded..."you can see it, one engine is over there (pointing to one side of the runway) and the other is in the wreckage, barely visible in the rubble)". I am usually the first to listen to witness statements with a grain of salt, particularly as adrenaline immediately after the accident accentuates things you see or perceive, but the clincher was him saying he saw the explosion and is pointing the engines out to the cameras. Maybe he thought he saw it, not sure, but an uncontained failure is possible.

I am of the opinion the probe had nothing to do with it, I have been in cockpit rides with good friends cursing about having to nudge the throttles in an MD80 up and down to get stable readings, we land, the engineers unscrew the probe and water comes gushing out...screws back on, and away it goes....and behold, the readings are fine.