PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 22:09
Aeromar27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of things about the MD's Flight Controls:

Lateral Control:
Provided by ailerons that are not hydraulically powered, helped by the spoilers. The yoke is cable connected to control tabs which aerodynamic forces move the actual aileron, hence a little delay for actuation upon input.

Directional Control:
Provided by the hydraulically powered rudder. It also has a manual mode, selectable by the use of a lever in the cockpit. Upon loss of hydraulic power or by shutting off its hydraulic control, the rudder automatically reverts to manual mode.

Longitudinal Control (important):
Provided by "non hydraulically powered" elevators. Ill explain why the quotes. The control column is cable connected to tabs (one per elevator) which aerodynamic forces move the elevator. And the elevators also have a "sby" hydraulic augmentor, to provide effectiveness under extreme AoA conditions to assure the possibility of lowering the nose. In that case, an annunciation comes on "ELEVATOR POWER ON".

Its also important to say that the longitudinal trim is provided by a movable horizontal stabilizer. It is moved by it's primary ELECTRICAL motor, or an alternate one. So no hydraulics here either.

I wont speculate. I'm just saying the little i know about the MD. Through all these situations we learn new things and we should take advantage of the rich conversations that take place in moments like these. Lets try to keep this as informative as we can.

EDIT: sorry for repeating stuff, i didn't know other people were going to do the same. I was probably still typing when u guys posted you comments.