PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 21:47
matblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MD80 series is certainly a fine plane on which to be a passenger, silent & smooth. I use it weekly MAN-CPH. It does rotate differently than other types though. Regularly, especially when full, as it rotates the back end tends to drop slightly which tends to give you slight negative G loadings as it quickly arrests the drop and powers up. I think someone referred to it's tendency to do this when slightly over rotated in an earlier post. I always feel this when I'm in the overwing exit seat and the flight is full. It gives you a real pressure on the head pushing you in the seat for a couple of seconds. Never happens on other types. This particular flight was full and also on its way to a holiday destination. This implies significant luggage load. Specualtion of course but there is a possibility that the aircraft was at max t/o weight for the conditions, suffered an engine failure at the critical point of rotation. Possibly the take off calcualtions were eroneous due to the faulty OAT probe and the aircraft could not maintain flight (possibly Vr was too low). Pilot tries to put it back down as there's not enough power to sustain flight, reverser deployed, slews off runway, down ravine etc. There's always a chain of events with these accidents and it certainly won't put me off flying the MD82 next week. Fortunately these events are rare and lessons are learned from these tragedies.