PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 20:48
Aeromar27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the dc9 series 30 can (but is not authorized to) deploy the thrust reversers in flight. just pull throttles aft, and pull reverse levers up and back.

NOW, again YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED to do this!

We train for uncommanded thrust reverser deployment in the sim. if unable to stow the reverser, you shut down the engine and fly on the remaining engine.

I've asked if the reverser in the span air crash case deployed in flight, but I have no data to think that it has happend in this case.

The douglas dc9 series of planes have demonstrated inflight thrust reverser deployment and the ability to fly the plane.

boeings do it with mathematical models and theory.
Well, the media here in Spain is gathering opinions from witnesses and workers from the airport who, more or less, have a knowledge of how aircraft work. All engineers insist on the fact that failure reported by the pilot during the first takeoff had nothing to do with the following events (apparently it was a probe heat problem). More and more we start to hear people talking about a potential explosion of the engine itself. From which i can deduce loss of control due to damage of control surfaces. But i know where you are going by mentioning the reverser deployment. And yes, on the MD-8X, according to the limitations manual "Inflight movement of reverse thrust levers or use of reverse thrust is
prohibited."