PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 20:11
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
its taken me all afternoon to trawl and poodle through 24 pages of the pprune rumour post on the awful spanair accident...
i have been away from this site for many months as it was pathetic to often read what so-called pro's started to rant about, howver i popped in back today.

frankly i was amazed that the toys didnt start being thrown out of the pram until quite along way through the pages,
possibly the more childish pro's and non-pro's are on their summer hols hence the more restrained comments,

i had 30 years aviation industry in ops and latter in safety and am not a flying pro and am retired now.

out of these 24 pages with my safety cap on and only having seen the press clips like most of you (one or two of you state you have friends in informed places) i have paid attention to TWO things,

1, a witness ( was it two?) states aircraft leaving runway in clouds of dust and sand (possibly not getting airborne?) and crashing into the lower field areas beyond the end and right of the runway.
IF, it got airborne then did it do so purely because the ground ran out and it shot off the end and plunged into the field further along.
i dont see any debris trail from the runway to the crash site.

2, a photo of the back part of the engine with the reverser assembly open.
(i dont see any fire damage so could this be from the RH engine, the LH engine was seen to be on fire>?)

these points are the only things that concern me that the pilots for whatever reason decided to try to stop and not 'go'

has anybody (pro) considered this too...?
we know that all v ref's speeds temps weights etc would indicate you must 'go' and you should safely C/O and be able to return,

this is only a slight concern i have to reading what a 'witness has told one of you and seeing that photo.
any investigator would feel the same to include this notion at the beginning then eliminate it as quickly as possible upon more detailed findings.

i am amazed that this crash has left survivors, it looks totally non-survivable to me,
a high speed uncontrolled crash similar in phase to the md-87 of SAS at Milan some years ago at the same phase of t/o, that left no survivors,
so for survivors to occur here at MAD is amazing but i'm sorry to learn of a such a nasty fiery accident to a respected airline at a very modern airport.