PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida Flying Schools?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 19:09
rustydude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a little help please!

I have read what you guys have had to say, wow ive been searching this site for HOURS and HOURS trying to find some up to date information on schools and just general direction. This is my first post so please go easy on me!
I have just finished a degree in Geography (I studied that subject because I'm good at it, nothing more!). Now I am itching to start that childhood dream of flying. I'm not sure of my actual goal just yet, but I hope to end up with my CPL in the next few years and sort out a career.

Here is my plan so far: go to the states to do my PPL and some hour building (100-150hrs) for however long it takes. Then home (Gloucestershire, UK) for some more cash and my ATPL. Then when I'm ready (asap) back out to the states to do my CPL.

So here's what I'm stuck with, if I am to do a FAA PPL in florida then I wont need to attend one of the JAA approved schools that seem to be fairly rubbish these days, but is it going to be costly and possibly difficult to convert my FAA PPL back to a JAA license here in the UK? As I have read a thread that suggested that converting it in the UK can be so.
The next thing is that if I do come home and convert my license to a JAA one will I need to convert it back to a FAA license on returning to the states to do my CPL in the future? - sorry if thats a really stupid question but I am fairly new to all this!!

I like the sound of not having to attend any of the big schools in florida, I notice you guys have mentioned Sunstate in Orlando. I suppose my big question is; is it DEFFINATELY worth NOT doing the JAA PPL in the US but doing the FAA version insted and then converting, and how much will it break the bank!

Also can somebody explain the Instrument Rating lark to me because I don't actually know anything about it! I want to make sure I get everything I need while I'm over there, am I right in thinking that a night qualification is included with the FAA PPL?

I'm hoping to leave for the states around feb 09. I don't have long to make my decisions so please, any input would be fantastic. Thank you!!