PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 18:52
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo:

The FADEC sic (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) controls the engine not the aircraft and its reverser system.
For clarification, yes, I understand that, especially the fact that FADEC does not control the aircraft - sorry if that impression was left from my post. On FADEC and the reverser system, I only know and am experienced with Airbus 319/320/330/340 fleet types' FADEC systems and FADEC does control reverse, (we knew this from the TAM thread):

From the A340 AOM:

The thrust reverser system is independently controlled for each engine by the associated FADEC. It is
controlled and monitored by each FADEC channel.
The thrust reverser system on each engine includes :
– 4 actuators
– 4 latches
– door position switches
– A shut off valve which allows the hydraulic pressure to the HCU.
– a Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) which :
• pressurizes the thrust reverser hydraulic system
• regulates the blocker doors speed
• supplies actuators with hydraulic power
Each pivoting door moves independently (no synchronization). The total actuation time is less than 2
seconds.

ACTUATION LOGIC:
Deployment requires :
– one FADEC channel operating with its associated throttle reverse signal
– aircraft on ground from at least one LGCIU
– TLA reverse signal from PRIM 1 (FLT CTL PRIMARY COMPUTER 1) or associated PRIM
– switch reverse signal from associated EIU
Before the transit completion of the blocker doors, the FADEC sets reverse idle thrust.

IDLE PROTECTION:
The FADEC will automatically select idle thrust if the reverse thrust is not selected and one of three
following conditions occurs :
– 4 doors are unstowed or,
– at least one door is unstowed and the thrust reverser system is pressurized, or
– the thrust reverser position is not determined and the reverser system is pressurized.