PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 18:30
arem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I write this as a retired 23000hr airline pilot, but reading this thread, regardless of whatever the technical reasons for the crash, surely a large part of the blame for this enormous loss of life must be down to the airport authorities and their governments.

By this I refer to what has already been referred to by other posters and that is the terrain at the side and ends of runways ie gully's,ravines and just plain rocks. Said authorities may be able to construct some beautifully smooth runways and taxiways but stray from these in an emergency and you are in deep poo!

How many airports are absolute death traps and lets face it the performance figures in the event of a rejected T/O close to V1 - especially in the wet - you are not guaranteed a stop within the confines of the runway. Let alone circumstances similar to the TAM A320 at CGH.

ANC, Bilbao, NRT, even BRU as in the Kalitta 747F and many many more, they spend millions on beautiful Terminals and shopping malls, they should spend more on smoothing out the terrain around these runways or at least installing that material ( the name of which I cannot recall) that slows the aircraft down without causing it to break up.

Just how much cost compared to yesterdays tragic loss of life?