PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 17:50
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou
Must be your shift, eh?
I know you have read most all posts thoroughly so I'll reply very briefly just to jog your memory (and hopefully your conscience):
RADALT warning set on min was appropriate for an immediate landing in marginal conditions, was it not?;
re waypoint change, I have explained in detail several times why I thought they may have done so – had they the hindsight of the investigators and known that the SuperTANS had been accurate at the time despite their long sea crossing (and therefore beyond their expectations) their actions would most probably have been different – if you care to do the chartwork (as I have suggested to all interested in this case) you will see that the position of this waypoint change was already so close in that they should have turned away earlier (by some margin with Flt Lt Tapper's low regard for the SuperTANS) IN THE ABSENCE OF ANYTHING ELSE TELLING THEM DIFFERENTLY – instead they, whilst presumably under control, dump that important waypoint and turn onto a heading reflected in the handling pilot's HSI course selector setting which was a straight line to the crash site.
<<Given that ... they had never operated the equipment before, why did they carry out their first ever approach utilising said equipment flying directly towards high ground in poor visibility at a speed approaching 3 miles per minute?>>
I'd be surprised if they had not used it before – it was in ZD576 well before that flight – and wasn't Flt Lt Tapper one of the most up to date SH pilots re nav and avionics?
They were not in poor vis – it was on the ground obscurring detail and therefore visual cues as to range to the ground.
And it was not really high ground – just that the LZ was at foot of a steep slope and they were in a low power regime slowing down (Boeing's analysis) – distance to go would have been critical.
<<... who were the passengers who were on the flight deck for this demonstration?>>
I don't think you would have to have been on the flight deck to appreciate what the pilots told you – how the quicksmart approach to a hidden pinpoint was aided by the new gizmo – “here we are with no mucking about” sort of thing – I dunno – it was what it used for in many scenarios – a useful piece of kit when used properly.