PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 16:20
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Safety;
If I may,
Caudillo, if true, there was nothing the pilots could have done.
Quite possibly - we'll know in due time of course, assuming the recorders survived the fire. But I would like to offer the notion that many, many statements are tautologies in the sense that the conclusion "proves" the initial statement. I believe informed speculation is worthwhile, if not cathartic for a few, but we know that much will be settled when such speculation ends and the investigation begins, with data, possible video from airport cameras, the CVR and DFDR, (any FOQA equipment, if Spanair was doing a flight data program likely would not survive). It may indeed be the case that the situation deteriorated so rapidly that the crew was along for the ride - a number of legitimate scenarios have been posited (Northwest MD80 at Detroit, reverser unlocked, catastrophic engine failure accompanied by hydraulic system failure and loss of rudder power etc etc). It seems that the aircraft had lifted off by many reports which would explain, along with terrain characteristics, the nature of the break-up but I suspect these would all be after the initiating event.

foresight;
Any intelligent layman will be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. There is enormous value in providing access to information and opinion when the media let us down so badly. There are genuine non aviation people who want a feel for what it is all about. If a post annoys you, then stay professional and don't rise to the bait.
Very well stated. While difficult to endure at times I think keeping the forum wide open to all is best and what you say will happen. We're not going to solve this or any accident here but frank (sometimes very frank) professional discussion enlightens, educates, and provides comfort for some who may be casting about for anything that intelligently explains their experience. As for the punters, so far, it's a free forum and inappropriate posts can be ignored. The one issue is, it is abundantly clear that most who post statements that don't make sense have not read the thread carefully first and just shoot from the hip - tough to wade through.

FWIW...
PJ2