PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 14:42
Wirelock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one theory we were discussing at work last night....
IF the P2 probe was faulty on the right hand engine.... lh engine experienced a compressor breach(theory only) and engine fire.
as the P2 probe is faulty the RH is not producing enough thrust to get in the air.

as i am told spanair SOP for a fire in the engine is to keep thrust on even with engine on fire.. get in the air and then address the engine fire.

if there had been a catastrophic engine failure of the LH engine then ,it would not have been producing thrust anymore, coupled with the probe problem on RH engine to cause the crash

a collegue( licenced engineer, on MD80 but not current) was 1 of the 1st on the scene... he said that the TR camshell was stuck in the grass and completely seperated form the aircraft. in his opinion they were trying to stop the take off. he also witnessed skid marks on the tarmac.(i know that this is his opinion but i am sure the accident investigators will be looking for his account of what he witnessed)

although i am not familiar with the MD80 MEL, from info here, it seems as the P2 probe is a go item... but for me there must have been another event that brought the bird down