PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (EC) 1107/2006 - New rights for disabled and less mobile passengers in EU wef 27 July
Old 21st Aug 2008, 12:28
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for engaging in the second attempt at getting this thread off the ground

Despite the locos having been astoundingly successful in creating a whole new breed of travellers thirsty for a taste of hundreds of new destinations, there are a huge number of the population who have not been mobilised in the same way. I think a large part of that deprived group overlaps with the group which is our senior citizens.

We all know seniors who are bright as buttons and who have engaged with the opportunities as much as the rest of us, but I don't believe they typify their age group who are mostly stay-near-home-conveniences types, people who avoid commercial conflict which theseday passes as common business practice, and people who are justly worriers about whether it will all work smoothly for them or whether they will be bustled like cattle or left endlessly in corridors (to name but a few reasons that come to mind).

Actually no-one should be bustled or herded like cattle, not even cattle. When his legs were a little more supple my father was occasionally known to advise cattlemarket operatives on the very subject. They generally weren't too happy to hear it either. He knows how to be kind to animals even when they are for the chop, you see.

Senior citizens deserve better than to be told that if they don't like the sound of a particular business they should avoid it.

The main locos are now monopoly businesses, you can argue against it, but you'd be splitting hairs now. Airports are designed around them, not the others.

To change it to something more comfortable to the seniors then yes, the general public would have to fund it. That's what responsible European democracies do, and will do more and more as people realise who is voting. Those that don't understand that will then find themselves with a choice, i.e. pay the extra to share the cabin with lots of smiling seniors and to wait a bit longer whilst they enjoy a stroll to their seats or adjust their corsets in the aisle in front of you before sitting down, or choose some airline (if there still is one) that isn't supported by the seniors.

I am very annoyed with airports like BAA because their managers are obviously unthinkers with no thought of questionning whether bounding up a stationary escalator is a reasonable expectation (nay, its a common occurrence) nor whether being on the lookout for sellotaped photocopy in a corner somewhere out in a satellite warning "There are no toilets in the main terminal baggage reclaim due to improvement work." is reasonable either

I am very annoyed that on the one hand loco ground handlers and/or cabin crew manning gates will wander the queues and "check" passports like they were seeking advance orders from people at the back of long McDonalds queues, but do not seem to have the gumption to spot seniors wobbly on their feet who should be offered a seat and discretionary priority. Not their job, don't consider themselves morally responsible either apparently. Same applies to say single Mum's with their hands full with two or three young kids. And again, same applies when they block off six rows for weight and balance but don't ever tell the mother with infant on her knees crammed in a single aisle seat in row 8 that she is welcome to move forward and spread out a bit after the seat belt sign goes out. It's all a bit of a bad show. Well I think so.

The current message to these unfortunates, much as Flapping_Madly describes, is tough sh*t/or I'm all right Jack/or maybe "You had your chance when you were young, now its our turn." That I'm alright Jack tag even goes for the chap above who is an invalid but doesn't appreciate the weak bladdered types! (No offence meant, but its interesting how we all compare ourselves to others, isn't it?). Torque2 recalls someone who requested a wheelchair off despite not having a wheelchair on. Were they a hooligan who had been fueled by six double BullsEye-Baggies and wanted a photo of themselves in a wheelchair to show their mates, or were they perhaps a genuine flagging traveller? Started off well perhaps, but found it all a bit much and spoke to someone in the next seat who offered that a wheelchair request might be a good idea?

I truly believe things will change just like all businesses have finally been effected by the need to provide good wheelchair access and good disabled toilets and good seats at the venue. Hopefully it will all change a bit faster this time. Afterall, this law is explicit enough and it provides rights to a significant minority group who may even be a majority group within twenty years.

Now then, who amongst you dare to continue to break this law? Maybe those that do should expect to receive a letter in the post with an invitation to cough up hundreds or thousands on the spot, much like serial pirate downloaders now do anytime now. Or do we think (EC) 1107/2006 might be a teenzy bit more serious than that?