PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 08:11
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
faa_cpl_h;
I am a strong advocate of teaching/learning especially when it is taken to heart. Initially, there are no stupid questions. However, if learning doesnt' take place and a point continues to be pressed by someone who isn't an airline pilot they either see something none of us see or have another agenda not associated with learning and contributing. Thanks for your kind response.

xxxchopperpilot;
The judgement as to the nature of the mechanical issue is, as you would know (just from your handle) is in the hands of those examining the issue and the relevant documentation. We dont' know what the problem was with the airplane so we can't judge the outcome. I've had plenty of engine faults where I've returned to the gate and either had parts replaced while passengers waited on board or the fault cleared in the ACARS/AIMS system. Sometimes a test run-up is done to test for fuel or oil leaks if those systems have been worked on. I've had FADEC faults, reverser faults and so on but none would require a test flight and I and the crew have always been 100% happy before we depart. More than one occasion the park brake is set and the aircraft stays at the gate until we're happy. When we tell the passengers that, in exactly those terms, nobody complains and when the air is clear about our intentions, things happen.