PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest survivability stats from the Dept of the blindingly obvious...
Old 21st Aug 2008, 08:08
10secondsurvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is actually a useful piece of research, despite some garbage being posted by some above.

The most important point is being missed; that the current certification evacuation tests have been shown quite clearly to be inadequate, in that in a real emergency people cannot evacuate in just 90 seconds for various reasons.

This is important, and as a matter of principle I always site near an emergency exit, and usually in the aisle. Many times I have boarded a large jet, and looked back to the people in the middle of the middle rows of four between emergency exits, and thought to myself, they'd have no chance in an accident.

I honestly believe the reason many pax don't ever object, is simply that there is a common belief that most people don't survive airline crashes, that if the plane is going down, you can kiss you a**e goodbye. The reality is that around 80-85% of pax survive air crashes, just not the ones who are far away from an exit.

Another point, it is actually good to let tall people pay to get emergency exit seats. Why not? it's not their fault that airlines don't have enough exits.