PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 06:41
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at this photo of the tailplane, to me it appears there is damageto the forward leading edge while the opposite appears to be less so...
Plane Crash in Madrid Leaves 153 Dead

Obviously it was torn off in the impact. It appears to be facing the
opposite way it would be on the aircraft..
Sorry, were you thinking of this kind of damage being a hint as to cause? Usually this kind of damage occurs during the break-up sequence and would be less "tell-tale" than, say, a collision sequence or in-flight break-up. Your second comment is more important because it relates to the question of why they're cleaning up the mess so early and quickly. Mapping wreckage as it lay is usually important to an investigation for many things including ruling out some causes such as pre-impact breakup. That's why post #156 should be set aside - the reversers may be planted but we can't assume that that is an indication that one or both were deployed - physical markings as well as the recorders need to be examined for such conclusions. The engines and the main gear tires are obviously key targets for initial investigation as will flight crew history and training records. Though I think human factors is a rich area of investigation, I agree with those posters who dismiss the industrial side of this.