PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 04:00
Desertgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andy_sp, I was diagnosed with epilepsy (tonic clonic) 20 years ago. My neurologist immediately informed an assortment of authorities and I lost my pilot's licence and my driver's licence. I also lost my potential job. Took me 5 years to come to terms with the loss. I regained my driver's licence after 2 years of being seizure free, but am unable to legally obtain employment as a driver in Australia (can't even drive a truck or a taxi). I've been seizure free now for 18 years BUT each time the EEG is done, the neurologist tells me the prognosis is "poor" and I am unable to risk coming off my meds. These days I sit in the right hand seat of a Mooney (my partner sits in the left seat). Like I said, took me 5 years to come to terms with the loss, but these days I do enjoy being the professional passenger.

I'd recommend a chat with your neurologist and/or a general practitioner about your condition and the very real risks it still imposes. When I was first diagnosed they handed me this long list of things I was no longer allowed to do and I almost died! No swimming, no baths unless supervised, no bushwalking, no climbing, always shower with the door open and only when someone else is at home. But life is about risk assessment and these days I do a lot of things on my own that it's recommended I don't. BUT I won't and would never consider trying to regain my pilot's licence. As mentioned by others, the risk of a tonic clonic and a full right rudder .... even if you flew with a fellow pilot, there's no way they'd be able to counteract the sheer strength of your muscles in full seizure mode.

Yes, I am aware that even by sitting in the front right seat I am taking a risk. But I'm very short, the seat is all the way back and I can't reach the pedals.