PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2008, 23:15
Aeromar27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
although MAD seems to be blessed by a lot of space (as compared to my home airport LHR...), since the expansion I can't help thinking that the runways are designed a little strangely and somewhat not reassuringly

I mean just imagine if this flight was taking off in the other direction, or going east-west from one of the older runways - we would be talking not only Spanair but also crash into terminals and/or parked aircraft

ADDED DETAIL:

crash took place on 36L, but same runway other way round (18R) would mean crashing into parked aircraft (if in straight line), hangars, and even pax terminals if veered of straight line

same potential issue if taking off from 33L or 15L

note: this is because of the rather peculiar way of constructing the new terminal/satellite pretty much at the end of the older runways - not really the way most new or updated airports are built !!
I have to correct you on that one. Runways 33 and 18, L and R are never used for takeoff, only for landings. Depending on configuration, takeoffs will always be conducted from rwy 36 or 15, L and R... so airplanes never take off facing the terminals (although it used to be like that several years ago).