PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2008, 23:04
StillStanding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but I cannot believe the prejudice and false information on this thread. I just hope that those writing do not suddenly find themselves on the floor not knowing what happened, only to learn that they have to immediately stop driving and flying.

I understand the JAA medical rules are designed to reduce the risk of incapacitation to below 1%.

The NPPL medical is a sign off by your GP who knows your medical history and is probably much more accurate in determining your future risk as a pilot than the rather pathetic 2nd class medical I remember having.

Basically if you are judged as fit to drive a car then you can fly on a restricted NPPL. Yes, terrible isn't it, practically the same capability in the same airspace as all those other pilots who are supposedly fit. If you have a diagnosis of epilepsy this will be determined after a comprehensive series of tests and probably the precaution of taking an anti-epileptic drug. After a year with no problems, sure some risk remains but the risk of a problem occurring over maybe 50 hours of flying a year is minimal.

Thank goodness I had a sympathetic flying instructor and a CFI who persuaded me not to give up flying!