PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (EC) 1107/2006 - New rights for disabled and less mobile passengers in EU wef 27 July
Old 20th Aug 2008, 16:49
Return to base

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who has limited walking abilities and has to use a stick as an aid, I wish to say that the majority of us take our disability in our stride. We do not ask for special service/facilities unless there are exceptional cercumstances involved. My last request was to ask a nearby cabin crew whilst I was at the top of the airstairs and there was a step up into the cabin but NO hand grip to maintain balance. There was no hesitation by the cabin crew and as soon as I was on the aircraft I thanked her and proceded to my seat unaccompaned, albiet a little slow.
My problem is when well meaning people attempt to help on my behalf and as a result cause disruption to others.
I am aware that I have become disabled ("crippled" in non pc language when I was much younger) but I do not ask for special treatment unless I have to.
My disability was not caused by lifestyle but through genuine illness but even I get upset when people who have a lifestyle problem (obesity??) demand special attention from fellow passengers and cabin crew and then procede to order as much drinks or food as they can consume so making their problem even worse. The people who annoy me most are those who demand a window seat on a long haul flight "forgetting" they have a weak bladder and then order many drinks so that during the sleep period they keep pushing their way past their fellow passengers who have a stronger bladder and require their sleep. I may be an invalid but my bladder will last almost all the way from Frankfurt to Singapore with only a brief visit to relieve myself just before landing.

rtb