PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2008, 16:30
bristowburnout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Interview with Randy Organ

An interview with Randy Organ was published in this month's edition of CDF magazine:

CDFM: Hi Randy, it's a pleasure being able to talk to a new rising star in the online publishing community. Your first edition of the BIA(G)L Newsletter is regarded by many as a masterpiece of the genre and is sure to become a collector's item with its masterful use of colour and words and incorporating detailed maps and so much useful information. How do you find the time to do it?

RO: Well, I don't know if I mentioned that I was a Senior Stores officer in the British RAF, but doing all the sorts of staff courses that senior officers like myself do, you learn a lot about time management and publishing, using complex programmes such as Microsoft Word, which lower ranks never know about. Also, I had many hints from my great mentor Brew Meddling who rose to great prominence once he had mastered making tea and coffee. I've now freed up more time for the next great masterpiece by taking on an assistant. When you're an HR mogul you have opportunities to create empires like that.

CDFM: As a Squadron Leader in the RAF what sort of squadron did you command? I'm sure you must have seen a lot of action during your many years of active service. Do you find your present appointment rather humdrum in comparison?

RO: Well, I don't know if I mentioned that I was a Senior Stores officer in the British RAF and as such never commanded a squadron of actual aircraft, but my job was far more important in keeping things flying at the front line. After so many years of managing stores I decided to utilise all my management skills in dealing with real people, whilst still working in a dangerous front line environment, hence my decision to offer my years of skill to BIA(G)L. With all my years in the military and the school of hard knocks that just goes with my major sporting achievements in rugby, the opportunity to visit dangerous bases in the front line of the Niger Delta was just too much of a challenge to turn down. The opportunity of learning from a master of Human Resources such as David Knowall was also too good to pass up.

CDFM: With all that you've said so far Randy, it seems that you cut your teeth on danger. Wouldn't you rather be out in the thick of it with the boys?

RO: Naturally, as a man of action, it's something I've thought of, but I'm an independent sort of chap. Senior managers in Nigeria live attended by servants to do their every bidding and are driven to work by chauffeurs. I prefer the simple life in the Island (as we call Guernsey), where I have to do some of my own shopping, cook and even have to drive my own Porsche. Mind you, it's pretty frustrating sometimes driving a Porsche when the Isle only has little twisty roads. However, I feel I'm demonstrating solidarity with the boys in the bogs, or swamps or whatever they are, by coping with the constant hardships on the Isle.

CDFM: It certainly seems you live life right on the edge Randy. You said that you even have to do shopping? Is it safe to do that on the Isle? Presumably you also have to do this in your precious spare time?

RO: Yes, unlike the chaps out in the bogs, I don't get 3 square meals a day provided free by highly trained international chefs. I have to pay for all my own food, and let me tell you, that's pretty darned expensive on the Isle, not to mention the shortages we sometimes have to cope with when tropical storms prevent supply boats arriving from the mainland.

CDFM: You're an inspiration to all of us Randy and I'm sure you're regarded with awe by the men whose lives you've made it your duty to improve.

RO: Well, I don't know if I mentioned that I was a Senior Stores officer in the British RAF, so it's just something which comes naturally to me. It's been nice talking to you and if at any time you come over to the Isle we can have a business lunch together to discuss how to further improve the legend of Randy Morgan, man of action, man of the people