PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Learning" to fly from home
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2008, 15:45
Uprooted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Learning" to fly from home

right, ive read the sticky and had a look to see if i can find a similar post, but i cant, mods, really sorry if there is one, please move it if there is! but any ways, this is what i need a hand with!

at the minute i have zero loged hours in any type of a helicopter, but i can handle a hughes 500 helicopter from everything to straght and level flying, to sloped landings, normal landings, confined area work, the usual things! you may ask how! and heres the low down!

my dad got his lisance about 10 years ago, and at the time i was abou 8/9. went to the airfield he learned to fly in EVERY time he was going, just from intrest, to see all the planes, helicopters and the likes! got a spin or two with his instructer after he was finished with da once or twice too, and i was hoocked since!

so then a few years later my pop got a hughes 300 (aka a Schweizer).he had that for a while and i was always up with him, just as a passanger of course! then when i was about 15 or so, my dad let me handle the cyclic during straght and level flight, with him covering it of course! and things kinda progressed! then after a while, a person who is certified to train in hughes 500's in america came over delivering a 500 to us to replace the 300, so he gave me a few lessons, where i did about 3 or so hours, (at the time i was already able to hover, take off, land, just basic stuff) and he showed me a few emergency procedures, autos, hover autos, tail roter failure, i think that was it!

apart from them 3 or so hours about 3 years ago, i havnt done any emergency procedures, so i know id need to go over that!

anyways, unloged, i have about 120 or so hours up as "pilot in command" flying from the passanger side, but obv would love to get a lisance!

now with exams and school taking up alot of my time up till last summer, i hadnt really had time to do it, and then launched into a tough college course in october last, kept me going now too!

BUT, we may have found a way to work this around me education, which is very important to me. a firend of dads, is a caa instructor. and is coming over to ireland ( where we live) soon, and im getting lessons from him! now i havnt had a chance to get a good proper chat to him, but any ideas on how it would be best to go about getting the lisance!

is it currently possible to clock up offical hours from a privatly owned machine at a non certified airfield, if the instrucer is certified to do so?

taking into account my situation, any other advice ye would have for me apart from that?