PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a C206 rating in South Island of New Zealand
Old 20th Aug 2008, 04:48
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually hold a NZ licence but have not used it for many years. I don't remember having to get a rating for, say, a C172.
If I fly the C172 do I need a rating for a Cherokee?
I do remember in Aus, many years ago, having all my airplane types listed on the licence, but it was long since that they made a group rating for all the little single engine airplanes; they did not do this in NZ? I thought NZ followed the US rules in general? In the US I can fly any airplane below 12,500 lb, single or multi, land or sea, conventional gear or training wheel, certified, experimental or sport, and in fact instruct on any of these, with no "rating" or pilot checkout of any kind. The only type I cannot fly without a checkout and some training are ultra-light and glider. The responsibility for the pilot approval to fly an airplane less than 12.500 lb that has a propeller (including turbine propeller) rests with the owner. In some cases the insurance company might have restrictions as well. But the FAA is not involved, which is refreshing.