PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Coventry Incident - the ONLY thread?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2008, 02:52
Clutter & Gain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very sad incident and my condolences for all involved.
There are too many unknowns about the incident, most mentioned already, for any wise man to make any assumptions.

However, what is worrying when these incidents happen is the lack of understanding or misunderstanding of rules, airspace, responsibilities, flight rules and separation standards made by people posting their comments.

Pilots - I urge you to visit your local control tower, especially if they operate inside Class G airspace with radar. If this is not possible try and phone the SATCO or another ATCO at the unit for a briefing on local operating procedures and equipment available to them. Please brush up on relevant sections, discussed on this forum, from the AIP.
ATCOs - If you havn't flown in a light A/C before please try and arrange it. It will show you how much harder it is to spot the A/C you should be following compared to the moving picture we have on the radar/ATM. I think it will make for a more understanding controller.

CRX
Generally right, but as for the extra separation for the B737 if he was IFR doesn't really apply (except for vortex if a/c following). The Aerodrome (or Approach) controller is responsible for providing advice and instructions if needed for the safe integration of VFR flights against aircraft making instrument approaches irrespective of their flight rules, so the actions in most cases would be the same as there are no separation standards applicable in either case.

G-EMMA
You seem to have been taught well but it is only recommended that pilots call ATC when flying close to an airfield with IAPs. There are a small minority of pilots who are more than happy to fly through final approach between 2 and 8 miles that do not want to talk to ATC, I dare say keeping a good lookout. So I would say that most, if not all, ATCOs at the airports you mentioned would love some protected airspace, if not CAS something similiar to a MATZ would be ideal and surely would keep everyone happy.

I hope my first ramblings are received in the spirit they are intended.
Will stop now... fingers struggling to keep up with little brain.