PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated with this damned summer
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2008, 20:55
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If an increase of a few hundred parts per trillion can have such devastating effect on this planet then I suspect the environment is far too unstable for us to meddle with it. If we try to slow the rate of destruction we may well easily go too far & trigger an ice age.
I do not doubt the qualifications of these scientists. But, what proof is there that climate change is going to continue until it makes life as we know it impossible? If it increased rapidly in the blip of 150 yrs, surely it may be the result of a solar flare, a wiggle in our orbit, or whatever else that we may not know about yet, that may be a regular occurence every 2billion yrs, & may decrease just as rapidly. Where is the proof that it will not?
Just because industry & climate change detection happened at the same time doesn't mean they have to be related.
If the weather the day after tomorrow cannot be predicted accurately enough for flight planning purposes, how can we believe that climate change over the next few yrs, let alone hundreds of yrs, can be predicted any more accurately?
Animal life in various forms have been generating methane in vast quantities far longer than a few pockets of mankind have been burning a few lumps of coal, volcanoes pooping off regularly probably shoot half an industrial revolution's worth of greenhouse gas upwards every few yrs.
I am not convinced we started it, or can stop it.